Saturday, November 29, 2014

Do You Want to Know Jesus?

If you want to know Jesus, you can. It all begins when you repent and believe in Him. 

“Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of God, and saying, ‘The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.’” (Mar 1:14b-15).  He preached that we must repent and believe.

You must repent, because God is perfectly holy, and He is love.  We were created to know Him. But you and I have a problem called sin that separates us from God.  Because of your sin, you deserve an eternity of punishment in hell, where there is no joy, but only torment.

Jesus Christ is God's Son, who came in the flesh and gave His life for you on the cross, in order to pay the penalty for your sin.  He did that, because He loves you with an everlasting love.  Someone needed to pay the price for our sin, and He was the only One qualified to do so, since He was sinless.  He wants you to have a relationship with Him, and live with Him forever in heaven.  He doesn't want you to perish on account of your sin.  But He will not repent of your sin for you.  You must do this yourself.

If you repent, it means you turn from your sin by changing your mind completely about it. You cannot repent unless the Holy Spirit convicts you of your sinful condition.  It is His role to convince you of your sinful predicament. So if you do not feel convicted, you should cry out to God, and ask the Lord to reveal to you the true nature of the sinful state you are in. Then I suggest you read His Sermon on the Mount in Matthew's gospel, chapters 5 - 7, as well as His Sermon on the Plain in Luke's gospel, chapter 6. As you read, ask Him for true contrition for sin and to bring you to sincere repentance.  

Once He does that, then you should take as long as necessary to repent of all your sins. I recommend repenting for every sin you have ever committed from the youngest age you can remember until the present, and repent by confessing each one specifically to the Lord, turning away from it, and asking the Lord to forgive you.  Repent also in general for the sins you cannot remember.  For one person, that could be an hour, and for someone else it could take longer. Others may repent in a moment of time. The important thing is that you respond to that conviction from the Holy Spirit, and pray through completely until you have an assurance of your salvation. Ask the Lord to cleanse you.  Receive His cleansing and forgiveness.

Then surrender your whole life to Him, committing to live for righteousness for the rest of your days. After that you should invite Jesus to come live inside your heart, and take up His rightful place on the throne there.

To believe in Jesus means to put all your trust in Him to save you.  If you trust Him to save you, then you will ask Him to forgive your sin and invite Him to come and live inside your heart. Please pray this prayer out loud to God from your heart:

Heavenly Father,
I have sinned against you.
I want forgiveness for all my sins.
I believe that Jesus died on the cross for me and rose again.
Father, I give you my life to do with as you wish. I want Jesus Christ to come into my life and into my heart.  This I ask in Jesus' name.  Amen.

When I gave my life to Jesus, I simply read a sinner's prayer from the back of a gospel tract, while sitting in a chair in my military barracks room. My friend who led me to Christ was standing behind me with his hand on my shoulder. I did not repent for every single sin individually, and I didn't shed any tears. However, I prayed with sincerity from my heart to God, confessing with my mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believing in my heart that God raised Him from the dead.

But what does it say? "THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, IN YOUR MOUTH AND IN YOUR HEART"--that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation. For the Scripture says, "WHOEVER BELIEVES IN HIM WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED."  (Rom 10:8-11)

This means we need to confess what we believe.  If you believe in your heart that Jesus is Lord of your life, you must confess Him publicly.  Here's how to do it.  Confess your belief in Christ publicly by stating your answer to the following question out loud to someone: "Who do you say Jesus is?" Tell someone who you believe Jesus is! Tell them that you have given your life to Jesus. Once you have repented, placed your trust in Jesus, and confessed Him publicly, you will have entered into a covenant with Him and be a new person!

This is how you become a child of God and enter into a relationship with the Lord. Now cultivate that relationship.  It’s absolutely essential that you produce the fruit of repentance! I cannot emphasize this enough. This means you need to show by your actions that you really have changed your mind, and that Jesus Christ is now Lord of your whole life.  Otherwise your repentance will only be an emotion or a good intention that did not result in a change in your actions.

After you have repented and believed in Jesus Christ, confessing Him publicly, one of the things you should seek to do as soon as possible is to be water baptized in His name. When the people came to the apostle Peter, asking what they should do, Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. (Act 2:38).  In addition to being water baptized, you should also ask the Lord to baptize you with the Holy Spirit.

Like any other personal relationship, this one requires you to spend time with Him in order for it to grow more intimate. So spend time daily, seeking the Lord, calling upon Jesus' name, repenting of any sin in your life, talking to Him and listening to His voice. Read His Word, the Bible, in order to see what God wants for your life and all the wonderful promises He has given you. Join with other loving believers who believe the Bible and preach the good news of salvation in Jesus alone, and find a place of service in that loving community.  Be sure and share the good news of Jesus with those who don’t know Him, and live faithfully for the Lord all your life.

Once you have given your life to the Lord, please contact me to let me know by leaving a comment on this page. I invite you to attend Doulos Training School.

Attribution notice: Most Scripture quotations taken from the NASB.

Author's Note: For other blogs about coming to know Jesus, please see Entering the Kingdom of GodKnowing the LordHoly Washings - Part I, All Things Are New!The Loving God Who Bids Us Come, By Faith Alone, By Grace Alone, Christ Alone, and Where Will You Go When You Die?  I also recommend my article, The Name of Jesus.

For more helpful information on how to grow in God, please see Baptized with the Spirit, Being a Witness for Christ, Salvation with Fear and Trembling, and my complete blog directory at "Writing for the Master."
  ____________________________________________________________

Len Lacroix is the founder of Doulos Missions International.  He was based in Eastern Europe for four years, making disciples, as well as helping leaders to be more effective at making disciples who multiply, developing leaders who multiply, with the ultimate goal of planting churches that multiply. His ministry is now based in the United States with the same goal of helping fulfill the Great Commission. www.dmiworld.org.

16 comments:

  1. Please sir how do I contact you i really want to serve God for the rest of my life i need guidian please help me man of God i want to Maitain my relationship with God

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Vera, I would like to invite you to attend Doulos Training School, opening on September 1 for all who are interested in online distance education in discipleship! See link for details at http://writingforthemaster.blogspot.com/2015/07/doulos-training-school.html. Shalom!

      Delete
  2. Hi, Vera, I just saw your comment. Please go to the "About Us" page at dmiworld.org and click on the "Contact Us" button at the bottom of the page. That will allow you to send me a message. I look forward to hearing from you. Blessings! Len

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the kind of articles God wants, i am blessed by this article and i pray for Godly Wisdom and precious anointing upon you. to empowers you to write more in Jesus name, AMEN..
    Osahon

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi, i would like to know Jesus trully, i just don't know where to start. i was in a relationship with Jesus 2 years ago, but i went astray because of many of my sins. i would like to turn to God, and be serious with salvation...i really need God's help...please help me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Tobias, I invite you to attend Doulos Training School, opening on September 1 for all who are interested in online distance education in discipleship! See link for details at http://writingforthemaster.blogspot.com/2015/07/doulos-training-school.html. Shalom!

      Delete
    2. Tobias, have you had any success in these past years returning to the Lord?

      Delete
  5. Announcing Doulos Training School, opening on September 1 for all who are interested in online distance education in discipleship! See link for details at http://writingforthemaster.blogspot.com/2015/07/doulos-training-school.html.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could you answer me a question I have, I can't seem to find it anywhere. I would like to know how Jesus said to pray. I mean like the rosary or just words and what to say. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are good articles on here about prayer you can check out.

      The model Yeshua(Jesus) gave is the Lord's prayer. It is short and simple and hits all the key points. The rosary, on the other hand, is not from the Bible. It is a tradition of men. Neither Yeshua nor Yahweh like their religion being mixed with man's religion, I'd advise you to investigate what they said about that topic.

      Delete
  7. Hi how can I share my testimony like Zipora and Racheal

    ReplyDelete
  8. I believe it's important to share testimonies because they bring glory to God and When a msg concerns the people it must be delivered as Rcheal and others have done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are correct, and it is the responsibility of the one who receives the message to deliver it. So you should ask the Lord how He wants you to do so (eg., verbally, via social media, your own blog, etc), and then follow through. Others do not have an obligation to deliver your message for you. I hope that helps. Feel free to contact me via the contact button at the bottom of About Us page on dmiworld.org. I am not looking for new testimonies right now. God bless you.

      Delete
  9. This article brings back memories. I so much want to carry on witnessing
    and sharing my testimony with people. I pray every day for the Lord to help me
    to witness to the lost.
    Thank you.
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would like to clarify what I have come to believe "sin" actually means. Sin to me is more that just doing wrong things on purpose. Sin also includes doing wrong things by accident. That is why even the most vertuous individuals are sinners. None of us are perfect and we all make mistakes with the best of intentions. Therefore we have ALL fallen short and need to be forgiven. If we want forgiveness we have to be willing to do the same for others. We all screw up from time to time and like Christ said, "give them for they know not what they do". People sometimes earnestly believe they are right when they are not. I have learned that lesson from experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and commenting. There is such a thing as unintentional sins and truly all people have sinned. God bless yoU!

      Delete